Turnus of offer:
each winter semester
Course of studies, specific field and terms:
- Master Infection Biology 2023 (compulsory), Infection Biology, 1st semester
- Master Infection Biology 2018 (compulsory), Infection Biology, 1st semester
- Master Infection Biology 2012 (compulsory), Infection Biology, 1st semester
Classes and lectures:
- Infection Biology 1 (lecture, 4 SWS)
- 60 Hours in-classroom work
- 120 Hours private studies
Contents of teaching:
- Introduction into the variety of infectious diseases and their respective causative pathogens (Viruses, bacteria, parasitic protozoa and helminths, fungi).
- The lectures will cover human and animal-pathogenic viruses, bacteria and fungi as well as parasites (protozoa, helminths).
- Important infectious agents and diseases will be covered in detail such as Influenza, HIV, HCV, herpes viruses, Papilloma, Pox viruses, Cholera, typhoid fever, E.coli/EHEC, Helicobacter, MRSA, Pneumococci, Tuberculosis, Candida, Malaria, Leishmaniasis, Trypanosoma, Schistosomiasis, Filariasis, Trichinella etc.
- The students have the infection-biological competency to apply their comprehensive basic and advanced knowledge of the biology of important human infectious agents and their diseases including viruses, bacteria, fungi, parasitic protozoa and helminths, their life cycles, vectors and reservoirs, epidemiology, treatment and prophylaxis to infection research with with regard to the rules of GSP of the University of Lübeck and of the DFG-guidelines .
- The students are technical and methodical competent to work in infection disease research based on their understanding of the complex host-pathogen interactions during the infectious process, they have the capacity to integrate the pathogen's virulence functions and the hosts defense strategies and the principles, how both evolved during co-evolution and how these interactions shape pathogenesis and disease outcome.
- The students have the competence in communication to employ principles of host-pathogen interactions in scientific discussions and to use them to approach theoretically and practically research questions.
Is requisite for:
Responsible for this module:
- Prof. Dr. Ulrich Schaible
- Prof. Dr. Ulrich Schaible
- Dr. rer. nat. Dirk Friedrich
- Prof. Dr. rer. nat. Stefan Taube
- Dr. rer. nat. Tobias Dallenga
- Dr. Katarzyna Duda
- Dr. rer. nat. Christoph Hölscher
- Richard Goering, Hazel Dockrell, Mark Zuckerman, Ivan Roitt von Saunders: Mims' Medical Microbiology + Student Consult Online Access - 2012
- S.J. Flint et al: Principles of Virology: Molecular Biology, Pathogenesis, and Control of Animal Viruses - American Society Microbiology, February 2009, 3rd Ed., ISBN: 978-1-55581-443-4
- Michael T. Madigan, John M. Martinko: Brock Biology of Microorganisms - Pearson International Edition, ISBN 0-13-196893-9
- Mims, Nash, Stephen: Mim's Pathogenesis of Infectious Disease - 6th Edition
Admission requirements for taking the module:
Admission requirements for participation in module examination(s):
- None. Regular and successful participation in the teaching module (lecture), apart from self-study, is strongly recommended as a solid preparation for the exam.
- LS4015-L1 Infection Biology 1, written exam, 90 min, 100% of module grade.
Letzte Änderung: 13.12.2022