Turnus of offer:
each winter semester
Course of studies, specific field and terms:
- Master Infection Biology 2018 (compulsory), Clinical Aspects, 1st semester
Classes and lectures:
- Diagnostical Methods in Microbiology and Pathology (practical course, 2 SWS)
- Diagnostical Methods in Microbiology and Pathology (lecture, 2 SWS)
- 90 Hours private studies
- 60 Hours in-classroom work
Contents of teaching:
- Lecture: Diagnosis/ Pathology of bacterial infectious; Diagnosis/ Pathology of viral infectious; Diagnosis/ Resistance of mycobacteria; Diagnosis of fungi and parasites; Nucleic acid-based techniques used in the diagnosis of infectious diseases; Serological techniques for the diagnosis of infectious diseases; Diagnosis of emerging infections
- Practical course: Basic laboratory rules and instructions for handling infectious organisms and materials; Techniques of bacteriology: Culture, media, preparation of slides, staining techniques; Characterization and identification of microbes (bacteria, fungi, protozoa, helminiths) by macroscopic and microscopic growth characteristics and morphology; Biochemical characterization of bacteria; Diagnostic immunology/serology: agglutination, precipitation, immunofluorescence; Diagnosis by the novel technique-MALDI-TOF/MS; Analysis of antibiotic susceptibility
- Students are able to list the different concepts for the diagnosis of infectious diseases (pathogenic bacteria, fungi, virus and parasites).
- In addition they will learn about prominent pathological entities of infectious diseases, on a macroscopic and histological level.
- They are able to illustrate and discuss these concepts with the aid of appropriate examples.
- They are able to assess the potential and the limitation of a given diagnostic concept and to propose alternative strategies.
- They do understand and are able to explain the underlying principles of a given technique.
- They are able to identify unknown pathogens from suspected infectious materials of respiratory, intestinal, urinary tract and blood infections by various diagnostic techniques.
- They acquire competences in presenting and discussing scientific results.
Is requisite for:
Responsible for this module:
- Prof. Dr. med. Jan Rupp
- Prof. Dr. med. Sven Perner
- Prof. Dr. rer. nat. Georg Sczakiel
- Dr.rer.nat Sonja Petkovic
- PD Dr. Kensuke Shima
- Prof. Dr. rer. nat. Stefan Taube
- Prof. Dr. rer. nat. Marc Ehlers
- Dr. rer. nat. Simon Graspeuntner
- Dr. rer. nat. Dirk Friedrich
- Prof. Dr. rer. nat. Torsten Goldmann
- Dr. med. Rosemarie Krupar
- Prof. Dr. med. Florian Maurer
- Dr. Sönke Andres
- n.n.: Current scientific literature
Prerequisites for the module:
Prerequisites for admission to the model examination:
- LS4045-P: Regular participation (85%) in the pratical
- LS4045-L1: Diagnostical Methods in Microbiology and Pathology, written exam, 90 min, 50% of module grade
- LS4045-L2: Diagnostical Methods in Microbiology and Pathology, graded protocol plus written exam, 90 min, 50% of module grade
If both parts are passed successfully, the final grade is calculated
Letzte Änderung: 21.4.2021