New in Lübeck?

©Lübeck und Travemünde Marketing GmbH

Welcome to the Centre for Doctoral Studies Lübeck. We wish you a good start in the doctoral programme. Below is information we’ve compiled to help ease your integration into life in Lübeck.

Government registration office

As a new doctoral student, you must register at this government office within 14 days of arriving in Lübeck. For this, take your identity card (passport, official ID), fill out the form “Wohnungsgeberbestätigung nach § 19 des Bundesmeldegesetzes (BMG)" (link) with your address in Lübeck, and have your landlord sign it. Kindly note that if you move within Lübeck, you must reregister your new address.

Government registration office

46-48 |
23552 Lübeck

Office hours:

8 am to 2 pm (Monday, Tuesday)
Closed (Wednesday)
8 am to 6 pm (Thursday)
8 am to 12 noon (Friday)

Health insurance


The German regulations on health insurance state that if you are a doctoral student with a scholarship, and you were not covered by a state health insurance plan within the EU in the last 12 months (as of the date of admission to the university), you will most likely be ineligible for state health insurance in Germany. However, in that case you can still take out a private health insurance policy.

If you are an international doctoral student under a DAAD scholarship, please visit the following link for health insurance:

Enrolment in the Universität zu Lübeck

Student Service Centre |
Building 2, Room 9 (Campus map)

9 am to 12 noon (Monday to Friday)

Please bring the following documents:

  • Admission letter
  • Valid ID (passport, official ID)
  • 1 passport picture
  • A certified true copy of your master’s/ bachelor’s degree/diploma (certified translation in English, if the original is not in German or English)
  • Your health insurance card
  • Proof of a state health insurance waiver (most international doctoral students who have private insurance can apply for this at the:
    AOK Student Service Office,

    Kreuzweg 11, 23558 Lübeck, Tel.: 0451 1508 8561, Hours: 8:30 am to 5:30 pm Mon–Wed, 8:30 am to 6 pm Thu, 8:30 am to 4 pm Fri.)
  • Receipt of paid Enrolment Fee (€ 50, one-time)
  • Receipt of paid Semester Fee (about € 120)

The Service Centre will give you the bank account and routing number for paying in cash at the Sparkasse across the main entrance to the university. Once you have paid all the fees, we will issue a student ID, your enrolment confirmation and a password, which you need for printing out other documents. To enrol in subsequent semesters, you need to pay only the semester fee and we will send you the ID by post. You can print out a confirmation of enrolment at the Student Service Centre.

Please do not forget to hand in a copy of your student ID and an enrolment confirmation at the Office, Centre for Doctoral Studies Lübeck.

Life on and off Campus

Life on and off Campus

To have lunch in the canteen, you need a canteen card. Get one from the administration office: Cost: € 10 of which € 2.50 is a deposit for the card and € 7.50 is for food. Check and/or top-up your card at the ticket machines in the entrance to the canteen.

Public transportation: use your student ID to travel free by bus within Lübeck and all the way to Travemünde. For more information, please visit (AStA (Student Committee).

PLEASE NOTE: The Office of the Centre for Doctoral Studies Lübeck is located in building 64 (Campus map) on the ground floor in room 99.

For current cultural events held by the Universität zu Lübeck, the University of Applied Sciences and the City of Lübeck, please click here.



There are several possibilities of living in Lübeck. Either you can choose to live in a shared flat or you decide to find a flat/ room on your own.

Student Dormitories

University dormitories: The "Studentenwerk Schleswig-Holstein" offers rooms in several dormitories. They are located on the campus as well as in the city centre. Prices per room and month vary between 145 and 300 €. You should apply for a room as early as possible.
Please refer to Studentenwerk SH , select “WOHNEN” on the left, and then use the English menu items. Here, you will find further information about the dorms and the application procedure.

Flat Share and Private Rooms

(for German websites, please use leo online dictionary to check the key words of the advertisements):

kiel.homecompany | studenten-wohnung | immowelt | immonet | wg-gesucht  

Please be minded that most of the rooms for renting in Germany are unfurnished, i.e. you need to buy furniture or specifically search for furnished rooms.


Visa Extension

You would need to apply for a residence permit at the Foreigners’ Office before your current visa expires (applies to students from outside the EU). You must make an appointment via phone or email in advance. Deadline: 6 weeks before visa expiration. 

Tel. 0451-122 3322


Ausländerbehörde | Dr.-Julius-Leber-Str. 46-48

Opening hours:
8:00 – 14:00 (Monday to Tuesday)
Closed (Wednesday)
8:00 – 18:00 (Thursday)
8:00 – 12:00 (Friday)

You would need to show the following documents:

- registration form from the Residents’ Office
- valid passport
- scholarship certificate
- current enrolment certificate (Immatrikulationsbescheinigung)
- 1 standard passport photo