Degree Programmes

Language Proficiency

If you are not from a German-speaking country and haven’t passed the university qualification programme at a Studienkolleg, you must take the following tests to apply to the Universität zu Lübeck:

  • The TestDaF (require a grade of 4 or better in all four subtests), or
  • The DSH (pass at least the DSH-2 level), or
  • complete the telc Deutsch C1 Hochschule test (with a grade of at least "good").

This test requirement is waived if you:

  • Have a German Language Diploma from the Cultural Ministerial Conference (2nd level), or
  • Passed the Central Upper Level Test of the Goethe Institute, or
  • Have the major German Language Diploma of the Goethe Institute,
    (Please note: as of 1 Jan. 2012, these certificates were replaced by the Goethe Certificate C2: Major German Language Diploma)
  • or you obtained your Abitur (University Entrance Certificate) from an accredited German school abroad.

At the Universität zu Lübeck, we offer German language preparatory courses from B1+ onwards. For more information, please click

As of February 2017, you can also take your test at our Universität zu Lübeck. To sign-up for the TestDaF, please visit: