Graduate Service

Welcome Information

©Lübeck und Travemünde Marketing GmbH

Welcome to the Center for Doctoral Studies Lübeck. We hope you get off to a good start into your doctoral research. Explore our Welcome Information Services early to get your life essentials settled. 


Studying in Germany
Welcome Information (English)
Further Information - especially for international doctorats
Student Visa for Germany
Health Insurance for Students in Germany


Registration at Residents' Office 

Every new doctoral candidate needs to register at the local Residents’ Office within 14 days of his or her arrival in Lübeck (Anmeldung). You would need to take your passport with you and fill out a form which states the city where you lived before you came to Lübeck and your current address in Lübeck. In case of moving to another address in Lübeck later, you would need to go to the Residents’ Office again to register your new address (Ummeldung).

Anmeldung bei der Meldestelle

Dr.-Julius-Leber-Str. 46-48 | 23552 Lübeck

Opening hours:

8:00 – 14:00 (Monday to Tuesday)
Closed (Wednesday)
8:00 – 18:00 (Thursday)
8:00 – 12:00 (Friday)  


Health Insurance

General information

Due to the German health insurance regulations, PhD students with scholarships who have not been insured in public health insurance in the EU for the past 12 months (calculating from the day of registration at the University) can not apply for public health insurance. Therefore, the only option is to apply for a private health insurance.


Health insurance through the DAAD for foreign PhD students with DFG grant

The following link provides information on health insurance through the DAAD for doctroal researchers with a DFG scholarship:

You will find the details under:
I am from abroad. How do I get insurance, register and find accommodation?


Registration at University

Student Service Centre | House 2, Room 9 (Campus map)

Opening hours:
9:00 – 12:00 (Monday to Friday)

The following documents are needed in order to register for the 1st semester:

- letter of acceptance
- passport
- 1 standard passport photo
- Master / Diplom / Bachelor degree certificate copy (certified translation in English unless the original one is in English or German)
- health insurance certificate
- public health insurance exemption certificate (applies to most international PhD students who are required to purchase private health insurance, you can get this exemption certificate “Befreiungsbescheinigung” at the AOK Students Service, 2nd floor, MGZ, Paul-Ehrlich-Str. 1-3, 23562 Lübeck, tel: 0451 1508 8561, opening hours: 8:30.17:00 on Mo-Wed, 8:30-18:00 on Thursday, 8:30-16:00 on Friday)
- proof of payment of registration fee (50€)
- proof of payment of semester fee (around 120€)

You will get the money transfer form from the staff in the centre. The fees can be paid in cash at the Sparkasse bank opposite the University’s main gate. After submitting all the required documents, you will get a student card, an enrolment certificate and a password for further printing. Registration for the semesters afterwards requires only the payment of semester fee. Your student card will be send by mail. You can print out the enrolment certificate in the Student Service Centre.

Please give the Office of the Center for doctoral studies a copy of your student card and enrolment certificate (Immatrikulationsbescheinigung) after the registration for each new semester.


Life on and off Campus

You can have lunch at the Mensa, where you need a mensa card. You will get one in the administration office on the ground floor of the Mensa. Costs? 10€ with 7,50€ for payment and 2,50€ for deposit. You could proof your assets and load the card with more money later in the Mensa.

Transport: with your student card, you could take bus for free within Lübeck and Travemünde.

Germany: for more information about life in Germany, please see the following links:

Deutschland | how to Germany | Tatsachen über Deutschland | Eduserver 


NOTE: The Service office of the center for doctoral studies is located in building 64 (Campus map) ground floor, room 99.

You will find current cultural offers supported by the Universities and the city of Lübeck here.



There are several possibilities of living in Lübeck. Either you can choose to live in a shared flat or you decide to find a flat/ room on your own.

Student Dormitories

University dormitories: The "Studentenwerk Schleswig-Holstein" offers rooms in several dormitories. They are located on the campus as well as in the city centre. Prices per room and month vary between 145 and 300 €. You should apply for a room as early as possible.
Please refer to Studentenwerk SH , select “WOHNEN” on the left, and then use the English menu items. Here, you will find further information about the dorms and the application procedure.

Flat Share and Private Rooms

(for German websites, please use leo online dictionary to check the key words of the advertisements):

kiel.homecompany | studenten-wohnung | immowelt | immonet | wg-gesucht  

Please be minded that most of the rooms for renting in Germany are unfurnished, i.e. you need to buy furniture or specifically search for furnished rooms.


Visa Extension

You would need to apply for a residence permit at the Foreigners’ Office before your current visa expires (applies to students from outside the EU). You must make an appointment via phone or email in advance. Deadline: 6 weeks before visa expiration. 

Tel. 0451-122 3322


Ausländerbehörde | Dr.-Julius-Leber-Str. 46-48

Opening hours:
8:00 – 14:00 (Monday to Tuesday)
Closed (Wednesday)
8:00 – 18:00 (Thursday)
8:00 – 12:00 (Friday)

You would need to show the following documents:

- registration form from the Residents’ Office
- valid passport
- scholarship certificate
- current enrolment certificate (Immatrikulationsbescheinigung)
- 1 standard passport photo