Moderation: Millie Baker
Zeit: 19.04.2018, 09:0016:30 Uhr und 20.04.2018, 09:0016:30 Uhr
Ort: CBBM, 2. OG, B5
IWB-Zielgruppe(n): Geschlossen nur für GRK1957
IWB-Kompetenzbereich(e): Karriere, Persönlichkeit
Angebot durch: Center for Doctoral Studies Lübeck (CDSL) / GRK 1957
I believe that most presentation skills can only be learnt through practice. I incorporate a certain amount of trainer-centred teaching, but theory is kept to a minimum in favour of practical exercises and teaching by example. For further reading and reference, there is a handout of useful information, tips and books for self-study.
I do not believe that there is one correct way to present. The main aim of the course is therefore to develop a critical awareness of ones own academic identity and the range of appropriate presentation techniques available. This helps the presenter make informed decisions and optimize personal style. It is therefore essential that participants receive not only verbal feedback from the trainer and each other, but also see themselves presenting on video (each student receives a copy of this video to study at home).
Students are encouraged to
- gain an insight into the subtleties of verbal and non-verbal communication, energy management and the balance between internal and external awareness
- assess their own presentation strengths and weaknesses and try out new/ more successful communication strategies where appropriate
- develop a critical awareness of their own and each others presentation styles to give and receive constructive feedback
- build on and practice the English phrases of presentation
- develop strategies for dealing with unexpected or difficult situations, e.g. answering questions, technical problems, audience hostility
- develop confidence and enjoyment in public speaking